Posted in Olympics
To capitalize on the international media visiting Vancouver during the 2010 Winter Games, Tourism Vancouver Island secured the services of Members of Score Marketing Inc. to execute a media engagement event on the eve of the Games.
The main objective of the event was to attract the right media, wow them with the event, and ultimately provide them with the information and stimulus they would need to promote Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast regions as destinations to live, work, play, and invest.
The event ‘A Taste of Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast’ was an interactive sensory experience, with guests invited to see, hear, taste, smell, and touch throughout the event.
- Media were welcomed with a traditional song and dance of the First Nations by the Le-La-La Dancers; through their vibrant regalia, cedar masks, and heartbeat drum rhythms, media were able to gain insight into the First Nations rich history and culture
- Media were also encouraged to explore the multimedia showcase where beautiful imagery and video from Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast was showing
- Carey Newman, a Coast Salish/Kwagiulth artist, spent time working on unfinished pieces offering yet another glimpse into the rich, diverse offering of these two regions
- Servers passed hors d’oeuvres made from local ingredients including BC shellfish, as well as local beer, wine, and cider.
The pinnacle of the evening was celebrity chef Bob Blumer emceeing as three local chefs completed cooking demonstrations using all local ingredients. Following each demonstration guests were able to try the culinary creations.
Upon departure, media were all provided with a USB, containing further information about the event as well as tourism information about Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast. Media also received a gift bag full of products and services from Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast.
- 150+ guests attended the event
- 68 local and international media were in attendance representing China, USA, Denmark, and Canada
- The media list was provided to all event sponsors who are able to follow up directly with each of the media